Phil Collins becomes lead singer of Genesis, Microsoft is founded, the Vietnam War ends, Saturday Night Live, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Wheel of Fortune premiere and disco is busting a serious move. It’s 1975—and people get their coffee from cans.
Grim though it may seem, there was a time when people thought all coffee was the same. It was a time without espresso shops. A time without “Arabica” in the American lexicon. But Jeffrey Cohn, whose grandfather founded coffee giant Superior Coffee, hatched the idea to bring truly superior coffee to the people. His specialty coffee company would sell coffee that—gasp—tasted good. In 1977, his vision became a reality with the establishment of The Brewing Market in Boulder, Colorado.
After opening his second shop in 1980, Cohn began roasting his own beans, exposing Boulder to authentic, freshly roasted specialty coffees for the first time. In 1985, increasing demand in the wholesale market prompted Cohn to sell The Brewing Market and launch Allegro Coffee Company, an import, roasting and wholesale distribution venture. Cohn used only the purest quality ingredients and traditional, handcrafted roasting methods, sparking the interest of Boulder’s natural foods retailers just as natural foods markets were beginning a phase of dynamic, nationwide expansion.
By 1995, Allegro was distributing its coffee throughout the United States. With a secure reputation as a national leader in specialty coffees, Allegro continued to enjoy particular success in the natural foods arena. Natural products pioneer Whole Foods Market—one of Allegro’s earliest customers—acquired Allegro in 1997, culminating a mutually beneficial decade. The acquisition united two businesses that had grown up together and are admired as industry leaders. The result is a partnership of shared priorities and ideals that continue to nurture Allegro’s growth.
Great coffee isn’t about overwhelming your palate. It’s about giving your senses a rebirth. At Allegro Coffee, that’s what we pursue from the very first hit of aroma to the last sip in every cup. Our coffees capture a taste and tradition that permeate every step of the journey from seed to cup™. Since 1977, when we established ourselves as one of Colorado’s first specialty coffee producers, Allegro Coffee Company has continued to perfect the time-honored, artisanal traditions that make our coffee the most flavorful you can find. We want every cup of Allegro coffee to be close-your-eyes good.
Seems that Cohn’s vision for great coffee has been good for us all. Unlike disco.
Allegro Coffee Company
12799 Claude Court
Thornton, Colorado 80241
Toll Free 800.666.4869
Customer Service 800.530.3995
Toll Free 800.530.3993
1) What is Fair Trade? The term Fair Trade is used to describe a market-based approach to trade, in which farmers are paid “fairly” for their goods so that they can not only have a living wage, they can develop their communities—socially, economically and environmentally. Fair Trade also seeks to cut out layers between producers and buyers to foster long-term relationships between workers and those who buy their goods.
Coffee is perhaps the most notable Fair Trade commodity. The first Fair Trade coffee was offered in the late 1980’s as a response to a historical drop in coffee prices. Since then, Fair Trade coffee has become a staple offering in both coffee bars and supermarkets—impacting the lives of more than five million coffee growers and their communities.
2) What Makes a Product Fair Trade? In order to be identified as Fair Trade, a product must meet established criteria that have been established by FLO (Fair Trade Labeling Organization) and then be certified by an approved agency.
Standards for Fair Trade coffee certification include: Fair labor conditions; Environmentally sustainable growing practices; Democratic and transparent organizations; Community development.
3) Allegro’s Approach to Fair Trade: Allegro offers Fair Trade certified coffee as well as Rainforest Alliance, Organic, and Whole Trade certified coffee. We also offer coffee that is not Fair Trade certified. Currently, only cooperatives are eligible to be Fair Trade certified. We purchase some of our coffee from single-family farms that are not part of a cooperative. We have forged long-term relationships with these farms and can attest to worker and community development that is often found in Fair Trade communities.
4) Why is some Fair Trade coffee more than others? Not all Fair Trade coffee is created equal. Although Fair Trade is greatly influential on the lives of growers, it does not necessarily represent a coffee’s “quality” in your cup. Many factors go into determining the quality of the coffee (and thus, the price) that have nothing to do with Fair Trade—region grown, grade of coffee, growing requirements, roasting, and other certifications. Our Fair Trade coffee is typically also certified Organic. Organic coffee is more expensive due to the stringent growing and handling conditions and the availability of organic coffee.
Allegro Coffee Company’s Disclosure under the California Transparency in Supply Chain Act
Effective January 1, 2012, the California Transparency in Supply Act of 2010 requires retailers and manufacturers doing business in California to disclose efforts to eradicate slavery and human trafficking from its direct supply chain. The following is Allegro Coffee Company’s required disclosure under the Act:
1. Risk Assessments: Allegro Coffee Company performs a preliminary risk assessment of suppliers of its 365 Products and Allegro products purchased at the national/global level, to determine the level of risk associated with slavery and human trafficking in their supply chain. This risk assessment is conducted via a questionnaire.
2. Auditing: Allegro Coffee Company relies upon third party certifiers for all 365 Products. Allegro Coffee Company verifications prioritize laborer conditions and rights. The verification process will also include best practices on food safety and environmental criteria.
3. Certification Requirements: Allegro Coffee Company requires all of its direct suppliers to certify in writing that they and the producers of goods and material used by them in products they sell to Allegro Coffee Company comply with Allegro Coffee Company’s standards with respect to slavery, human trafficking and bonded labor prior to doing business with Allegro Coffee Company. Allegro Coffee Company verifies these standards with annual audits. Allegro Coffee Company standards include a requirement to comply with the laws regarding slavery, human trafficking and bonded labor in the countries in which suppliers are doing business.
4. Internal Accountability: Allegro Coffee Company is committed to the ethical and socially responsible conduct in the workplace. All of its employees and contractors must adhere to its Code of Business Conduct, which requires compliance with all laws in the countries in which suppliers are doing business including laws addressing slavery, human trafficking and bonded labor. Violations of the Code of Business Conduct by employees may result in disciplinary action up to discharge. Violations by contractors may result in their dismissal. We do not have a formal policy in-place outlining the steps a contractor must follow to resolve any documented failures/shortcomings. We do not have a policy that specifically protects team members or vendors who act as whistle blowers.
5. Procurement Training: Allegro Coffee Company’s annual training teaches its team members who are responsible for supply chain management, the principles and practices underlying its standards relating to slavery, human trafficking and bonded labor and provides education on how to identify and respond to supply chain issues such as slavery, human trafficking and bonded labor.
No payment or purchase necessary to enter.
Timing: There will be three (3) separate Sweepstakes (each, a “Sweepstakes”). Each Sweepstakes is a one-day event, being held from 9:00 a.m. Mountain Standard Time (MST) through 11:59 p.m. MST. There will be a Sweepstakes event taking place on 05/17/17, 05/24/17, and 05/31/17 (each, a “Sweepstakes Period”).
Eligibility: Participants must be legal U.S. residents, and at least 18 years of age or older, to participate. Officers and employees of Allegro Coffee Company (the “Sponsor”), Whole Foods Market, and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, their vendors and agents, and the immediate family members of the foregoing, are not eligible to win.
To Enter: Visit www.facebook.com/AllegroCoffeeCompany during one of the Sweepstakes Periods and look for a post on the Allegro Coffee Company timeline announcing the Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes Post(s)”), like the Sweepstakes Post, or leave a comment on the Sweepstakes Post, including the hashtag #SweepstakesEntry to receive one (1) entry. Only entries received during the corresponding Sweepstakes Period will be considered valid entries. Limit: One (1) entry per person per Sweepstakes Period.
By submitting your Entry, you agree that your Entry conforms to these Official Rules and that the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify your Entry for any reason at any time, including if Sponsor, in its sole discretion, determines that your Entry fails to conform to these Official Rules in any way or otherwise contains unacceptable content as determined by Sponsor.
By submitting an Entry, Entrant hereby grants permission for the Entry to be immediately posted on the Sponsor’s Facebook timeline and any other web sites, including without limitation social media web sites. Entrant agrees that Released Parties (as defined below) are not responsible for any unauthorized use of Entries by third parties. Released Parties do not guarantee the posting of any Entry.
The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to reject and/or remove any Entry (along with disqualifying the Entrant who submitted same) that violates these Official Rules or is otherwise inappropriate without any notification or warning.
By entering this Sweepstakes, Entrant grants Sponsor the right to edit, adapt, copyright and publish any or all Released Parties and to use these Released Parties in any media form or in any manner without attribution or further compensation.
By participating, Entrants indemnify and hold harmless the Released Parties from any claims and damages (including reasonable attorneys' fees) arising from or relating to the breach or alleged breach of your failure to comply with the Official Rules.
Drawings/Prizes: A separate drawing will be held for each Sweepstakes. One (1) winner will be selected in a random drawing for each Sweepstakes from among all eligible entries received for that Sweepstakes Period only. The drawings will take place on or about the day following each Sweepstakes Period, 05/18/17, 05/25/17, and 06/01/17. Odds of winning depend upon the total number of eligible entries received in each Sweepstakes Period. Entries from one Sweepstakes will not be carried over to subsequent Sweepstakes. All drawings will be conducted by Sponsor, whose decisions are final on all matters relating to these Sweepstakes. Each winner will receive the following Prize Package (the “Prize”). Each Prize Package has an Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of $120 and includes:
- Allegro Cafe Ubuntu - $13
- Allegro Expresso Sierra - $12
- Miir SIP Tumbler - $15
- Raaka chocolate 3-pack w/ Allegro bars - $20
- Raaka First Nibs Subscription (3-month x 2 bars) - $60
Exact items TBD by Sponsor.
General Terms & Conditions: The potential winners will be contacted by a public comment to the Sweepstakes Post. Potential winner must then follow Sponsor on Facebook and Facebook message Sponsor with his/her address and shipping information within 48 hours to claim his/her prize, after which time an alternate winner will be selected, at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. No substitution or exchange of prize will be allowed, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any Submission at any time in the event it is determined that the Submission is offensive, inappropriate, not in keeping with Sponsors’ images or if it is determined that the entrant has not otherwise complied with these Official Rules. All entries submitted must be original, and become the sole property of the Sponsor, who reserves the right to edit as they see fit. Entry constitutes entrants’ agreement to abide by these Official Rules and confirms permission (except where prohibited) to use winner’s entry, name and likenesses, as well as their entry submission information for advertising and publicity purposes, without additional compensation. Entrants further agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which shall be final and binding in all respects. All taxes, if applicable, are the responsibility of the winner. All federal, state, and local rules and regulations apply. Entrants/winner agrees to “hold harmless” the Sponsor, Facebook, and agents affiliated with this promotion for any and all damages that may result from acceptance/use of the prize offered and/or participation in the promotion. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
Winners List: Winners will be announced on the Allegro Coffee Company Facebook page, you can access the page by visiting www.facebook.com/AllegroCoffeeCompany. Winners will be announced after winner confirmation is complete.
Sponsor: Allegro Coffee Company, 12799 Claude Ct, Thornton, CO 80241.
Facebook is a registered trademark of Facebook, Inc. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by Facebook, Inc.
INTERNATIONAL, PO BOXES
ONLINE ORDERING ISSUES