Chemex Brew Guide
We love the clean taste you get from brewing with a Chemex. If you’ve never used this brew method before, or it’s been a while and you want to refresh your pour, our Chemex brew guide gives you an easy step-by-step.
• Chemex® filters (Oxygen whitened)
• Electric Hot Water Kettle (Hario® Buono or Bonavita® gooseneck spout kettle is recommended for controlled pouring)
• Digital scale with ability to measure grams
• 45 grams of coffee and 750 grams (~25 oz) of water
• Coarse – coffee should be about the size of coarse sea salt or polenta
• Make sure your water reaches a temperature between 195-205◦ F (92-96◦ C)
1. Fill gooseneck kettle with water and bring to proper temperature.
2. Open the filter into a cone shape. One side should have 3 layers. This side should be placed toward the pouring spout. Immediately use the boiled water to thoroughly rinse filter using a few quick circular passes. Rinsing the filter will get rid of any paper flavors and will preheat the cone/vessel. Let all the water drain out of the filter into the carafe and discard.
3. Add 45 grams of coffee to the filter. Make sure ground coffee is level. If the water is at the target temp it’s time to start brewing. Place brewing equipment on scale. Tare scale to zero and start the timer.
1. Bloom- pour just enough water over the grounds to saturate them evenly and allow 30 seconds for coffee to degas. Do not rush the 30 second bloom – it lets the coffee degas and prepares the coffee for the rest of the brewing process.
2. After 30 seconds pour the rest of the water over the grounds using a slow even flow rate. Pour in a circular motion, starting from the center of the grounds and working outwards towards the edge of the filter to break down the bloom and saturate the grounds evenly. Take care not to pour water directly on the filter but maintain a level bed.
3. The coffee should not go any higher than a half inch from the top of the Chemex. Control the pour to achieve so that coffee stays below that half inch mark.
4. Desired brew time is 4 minutes
5. Remove filter from carafe and serve the coffee. Thoroughly wash brewing equipment after every use