Phil Collins becomes lead singer of Genesis, Microsoft is founded, the Vietnam War ends, Saturday Night Live, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Wheel of Fortune premiere and disco is busting a serious move. It’s 1975—and people get their coffee from cans.
Grim though it may seem, there was a time when people thought all coffee was the same. It was a time without espresso shops. A time without “Arabica” in the American lexicon. But Jeffrey Cohn, whose grandfather founded coffee giant Superior Coffee, hatched the idea to bring truly superior coffee to the people. His specialty coffee company would sell coffee that—gasp—tasted good. In 1977, his vision became a reality with the establishment of The Brewing Market in Boulder, Colorado.
After opening his second shop in 1980, Cohn began roasting his own beans, exposing Boulder to authentic, freshly roasted specialty coffees for the first time. In 1985, increasing demand in the wholesale market prompted Cohn to sell The Brewing Market and launch Allegro Coffee Company, an import, roasting and wholesale distribution venture. Cohn used only the purest quality ingredients and traditional, handcrafted roasting methods, sparking the interest of Boulder’s natural foods retailers just as natural foods markets were beginning a phase of dynamic, nationwide expansion.
By 1995, Allegro was distributing its coffee throughout the United States. With a secure reputation as a national leader in specialty coffees, Allegro continued to enjoy particular success in the natural foods arena. Natural products pioneer Whole Foods Market—one of Allegro’s earliest customers—acquired Allegro in 1997, culminating a mutually beneficial decade. The acquisition united two businesses that had grown up together and are admired as industry leaders. The result is a partnership of shared priorities and ideals that continue to nurture Allegro’s growth.
Great coffee isn’t about overwhelming your palate. It’s about giving your senses a rebirth. At Allegro Coffee, that’s what we pursue from the very first hit of aroma to the last sip in every cup. Our coffees capture a taste and tradition that permeate every step of the journey from seed to cup™. Since 1977, when we established ourselves as one of Colorado’s first specialty coffee producers, Allegro Coffee Company has continued to perfect the time-honored, artisanal traditions that make our coffee the most flavorful you can find. We want every cup of Allegro coffee to be close-your-eyes good.
Seems that Cohn’s vision for great coffee has been good for us all. Unlike disco.
1) What is Fair Trade? The term Fair Trade is used to describe a market-based approach to trade, in which farmers are paid “fairly” for their goods so that they can not only have a living wage, they can develop their communities—socially, economically and environmentally. Fair Trade also seeks to cut out layers between producers and buyers to foster long-term relationships between workers and those who buy their goods.
Coffee is perhaps the most notable Fair Trade commodity. The first Fair Trade coffee was offered in the late 1980’s as a response to a historical drop in coffee prices. Since then, Fair Trade coffee has become a staple offering in both coffee bars and supermarkets—impacting the lives of more than five million coffee growers and their communities.
2) What Makes a Product Fair Trade? In order to be identified as Fair Trade, a product must meet established criteria that have been established by FLO (Fair Trade Labeling Organization) and then be certified by an approved agency.
Standards for Fair Trade coffee certification include: Fair labor conditions; Environmentally sustainable growing practices; Democratic and transparent organizations; Community development.
3) Allegro’s Approach to Fair Trade: Allegro offers Fair Trade certified coffee as well as Rainforest Alliance, Organic, and Whole Trade certified coffee. We also offer coffee that is not Fair Trade certified. Currently, only cooperatives are eligible to be Fair Trade certified. We purchase some of our coffee from single-family farms that are not part of a cooperative. We have forged long-term relationships with these farms and can attest to worker and community development that is often found in Fair Trade communities.
4) Why is some Fair Trade coffee more than others? Not all Fair Trade coffee is created equal. Although Fair Trade is greatly influential on the lives of growers, it does not necessarily represent a coffee’s “quality” in your cup. Many factors go into determining the quality of the coffee (and thus, the price) that have nothing to do with Fair Trade—region grown, grade of coffee, growing requirements, roasting, and other certifications. Our Fair Trade coffee is typically also certified Organic. Organic coffee is more expensive due to the stringent growing and handling conditions and the availability of organic coffee.
Allegro Coffee Company’s Disclosure under the California Transparency in Supply Chain Act
Effective January 1, 2012, the California Transparency in Supply Act of 2010 requires retailers and manufacturers doing business in California to disclose efforts to eradicate slavery and human trafficking from its direct supply chain. The following is Allegro Coffee Company’s required disclosure under the Act:
1. Risk Assessments: Allegro Coffee Company performs a preliminary risk assessment of suppliers of its 365 Products and Allegro products purchased at the national/global level, to determine the level of risk associated with slavery and human trafficking in their supply chain. This risk assessment is conducted via a questionnaire.
2. Auditing: Allegro Coffee Company relies upon third party certifiers for all 365 Products. Allegro Coffee Company verifications prioritize laborer conditions and rights. The verification process will also include best practices on food safety and environmental criteria.
3. Certification Requirements: Allegro Coffee Company requires all of its direct suppliers to certify in writing that they and the producers of goods and material used by them in products they sell to Allegro Coffee Company comply with Allegro Coffee Company’s standards with respect to slavery, human trafficking and bonded labor prior to doing business with Allegro Coffee Company. Allegro Coffee Company verifies these standards with annual audits. Allegro Coffee Company standards include a requirement to comply with the laws regarding slavery, human trafficking and bonded labor in the countries in which suppliers are doing business.
4. Internal Accountability: Allegro Coffee Company is committed to the ethical and socially responsible conduct in the workplace. All of its employees and contractors must adhere to its Code of Business Conduct, which requires compliance with all laws in the countries in which suppliers are doing business including laws addressing slavery, human trafficking and bonded labor. Violations of the Code of Business Conduct by employees may result in disciplinary action up to discharge. Violations by contractors may result in their dismissal. We do not have a formal policy in-place outlining the steps a contractor must follow to resolve any documented failures/shortcomings. We do not have a policy that specifically protects team members or vendors who act as whistle blowers.
5. Procurement Training: Allegro Coffee Company’s annual training teaches its team members who are responsible for supply chain management, the principles and practices underlying its standards relating to slavery, human trafficking and bonded labor and provides education on how to identify and respond to supply chain issues such as slavery, human trafficking and bonded labor.
Allegro Coffee Company
“RockyGrass Festival Tickets Giveaway”
No payment or purchase necessary to enter.
Date: This is a two-day event, being held on 06/08/16 from 9:00 a.m. Mountain Standard Time (MST) through 11:59 p.m. MST on 06/09/16 (the “Promotion Period”).
Eligibility: Participants must be legal U.S. residents, and at least 18 years of age or older, to participate. Officers and employees of Allegro Coffee Company (the “Sponsor”), Whole Foods Market, and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, their vendors and agents, and the immediate family members of the foregoing, are not eligible to win.
To Enter: Visit www.facebook.com/AllegroCoffeeCompany during the Promotion Period and look for a post on the Allegro Coffee Company timeline announcing the Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes Post(s)”), like the Sweepstakes Post, or leave a comment on the Sweepstakes Post and include the hashtag #SweepstakesEntry to receive one (1) entry. Only entries received during the Promotion Period and using the hashtag #SweepstakesEntry will be considered valid entries. Limit: One (1) entry per person. Official rules are available at http://www.allegrocoffee.com/about/our-story/our-story#contest-rules .
By submitting your Entry, you agree that your Entry conforms to these Official Rules and that the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify your Entry for any reason at any time, including if Sponsor, in its sole discretion, determines that your Entry fails to conform to these Official Rules in any way or otherwise contains unacceptable content as determined by Sponsor.
By submitting an Entry, Entrant hereby grants permission for the Entry to be immediately posted on the Sponsor’s Facebook timeline and any other web sites, including without limitation social media web sites. Entrant agrees that Released Parties (as defined below) are not responsible for any unauthorized use of Entries by third parties. Released Parties do not guarantee the posting of any Entry.
The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to reject and/or remove any Entry (along with disqualifying the Entrant who submitted same) that violates these Official Rules or is otherwise inappropriate without any notification or warning.
By entering this Sweepstakes, Entrant grants Sponsor the right to edit, adapt, copyright and publish any or all Released Parties and to use these Released Parties in any media form or in any manner without attribution or further compensation.
By participating, Entrants indemnify and hold harmless the Released Parties from any claims and damages (including reasonable attorneys' fees) arising from or relating to the breach or alleged breach of your failure to comply with the Official Rules.
Drawing/Prize: One (1) prizewinner will be randomly-selected by a representative of the Sponsor, on/about 06/09/16, from among all eligible entries received. Prizewinner will receive two (2) one-night festival passes to the 44th Annual RockyGrass Festival (taking place July 29 – 31, 2016 in Lyons, CO), and two (2) bags of Allegro Coffee. Approximate retail value of prize is $155. Winner will be responsible for their own travel/transportation to and from the RockyGrass Festival. Odds of winning will depend on the total number of eligible entries received.
General Terms & Conditions: The potential winner will be notified by a direct message from the Sponsor to potential winner’s Facebook account, and will have 3 days within which to respond, after which time an alternate winner will be selected, at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Winner will be required to sign/return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release prior to their prize being awarded. No substitution or exchange of prize will be allowed, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any Submission at any time in the event it is determined that the Submission is offensive, inappropriate, not in keeping with Sponsors’ images or if it is determined that the entrant has not otherwise complied with theseOfficial Rules. All entries submitted must be original, and become the sole property of the Sponsor, who reserves the right to edit as they see fit. Entry constitutes entrants’ agreement to abide by these Official Rules and confirms permission (except where prohibited) to use winner’s entry, name and likenesses, as well as their entry submission information for advertising and publicity purposes, without additional compensation. Entrants further agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which shall be final and binding in all respects. All taxes, if applicable, are the responsibility of the winner. All federal, state, and local rules and regulations apply. Entrants/winner agrees to “hold harmless” the Sponsor, Facebook, and agents affiliated with this promotion for any and all damages that may result from acceptance/use of the prize offered, travel to/from Starkey Springs, and/or participation in the promotion. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
Winners List: Winner will be announced on the Allegro Coffee Company Facebook page, you can access the page by visiting www.facebook.com/AllegroCoffeeCompany. Winner will be announced after winner confirmation is complete.
Sponsor: Allegro Coffee Company, 12799 Claude Ct, Thornton, CO 80241.
Facebook is a registered trademark of Facebook, Inc. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by Facebook, Inc.
What are my different shipping options and when will my order arrive? Orders are processed for shipping Monday-Friday. Orders received by 11:59pm MST will be processed the next business day. We offer Ground, 2nd Day Air and Next Day Air via UPS for shipping options. Deliveries are Monday–Saturday. Ground shipping typically takes 7-10 business days after your order is processed, 2nd day shipping takes 2 business days after your order is processed and Next Day shipping takes 1 business day after your order is processed. If you place your order after 12 noon MST on a Monday – Thursday, it will be processed for shipping the following business day. If you place your order between 12:01pm MST on Friday and 11:59pm MST on Sunday, it will be processed for shipping the following Monday.
How much does shipping cost? Please refer to the Shipping Table on this page. Please note, for orders above $150 only UPS 2-day, 3-day or overnight shipping is available.
Can I ship my order to multiple locations? Not at this time. You will need to create individual orders for each "ship-to" location.
Can I track my package? You will receive an initial order confirmation email after submitting your order, and a shipping confirmation email with tracking information once your order has been shipped. If you do not receive the shipping confirmation email within 24-72 hours of placing your order, try checking your junk mail or spam folder. If you cannot locate the email, please contact us at 800.666.4869 or email CustServ@allegrocoffee.com. Please include your name, delivery address and any other relevant details about your order.
INTERNATIONAL, PO BOXES
Can you ship my order internationally for me? No. We are currently sending gift boxes only to US addresses within the continental United States (for orders to Alaska and Hawaii, please contact us at 800.666.4869 or email CustServ@allegrocoffee.com).
Can I place an order if my billing address is outside of the US? Currently we accept only US billing addresses within the United States at this time.
Can you ship to PO Boxes? No. Currently we do not offer shipping to PO boxes.
Can I make a group purchase or order a large amount of coffee (orders above $500)? Sure. Please contact us at 800.666.4869 or email CustServ@allegrocoffee.com to get started.
ONLINE ORDERING ISSUES
I am having trouble adding items to my cart. Help! Our site requires that you have third-party cookies enabled to purchase from us.
My transaction did not go through, but I looked on my statement and my card was charged. What happened? If the information you entered does not match what your bank has on file exactly, our site rejects it because we have set very high security settings. However, your bank still preauthorizes the amount of the transaction based on the request. Your bank will remove this pre-authorized amount once they process the decline from our site.
Is my information secure on your site? I don’t see the "https" URL in my browser. Yes. The information you submit during the checkout process is encrypted before being transmitted over the Internet, using a Verisign SSL Certificate and RC4 128-bit encryption. We use a masked URL that prevents you from seeing the HTTPS URL name.
Return Policy: If for some reason you are unsatisifed with your purchase made from our online store, please contact our Customer Service team for all return processing for online orders: (800)530-3995 or via email or at CustServ@allegrocoffee.com. For purchases made at Whole Foods Market stores, please return the product to the store where it was purchased.
Terms and Conditions: Allegro Coffee is a wholly owned subsidary of Whole Foods Market. Please visit this page for Terms and Conditions.